Windows can eventually be used from the iPad. Users of Parallels Desktop 6 can seamlessly logon their Windows virtual appliance from the iPad. The required iPad app “Parallels Mobile” can be downloaded for free from the iTunes App Store (get it here). In the meantime check their vid:
Obviously notorious George Hotz has managed to get all 7 SPUs of the Playstation 3’s CPU under his control. This means although he cannot access the CPU’s root key, he now can decrypt everything that’s going thru these SPUs like datastreams of (encrypted) commercial games.
The PPU is higher on the control chain then the SPUs. Even if checks were to be added to, for example, verify the hypervisor before decrypting the kernel, with clever memory mappings you can hide your modified hypervisor.
Besides that XorLoser maintains a plugin for reverser’s beloved Interactive Disassembler (IDA) that contains special PPC instructions for Xbox360 and PS3.
Congratulations to GeoHot. Kudos fly out to XorLoser.
Notorious iPhone hacker GeoHot has succesfully circumvented the Playstation’s security system. According to his latest blog entry, he has dumped LV0 and LV1 code, thus allowing him to (theoretically) run code on the processor, bypassing the hypervisor.
The Playstation’s hypervisor is intended to run third party software (like Yellow Dog Linux) on a virtualized level, thus maintaining system integrity and protection of the host system. Within this virtualized environment arbitrary access to certain hardware devices has been disabled, thus allowing only basic access to the graphic processing unit (GPU) for example.
GeoHot seems to have broken the chain of trust. This means he can bypass the hypervisor to directly access hardware like the GPU with his custom code. Anyway he has not released any further information or proof of his work. But hey, it is not anyone, it is GeoHot, so it seems solid.
We compiled some links for people being interested in the hypervisor protection topic.
» GeoHot: Hello hypervisor, I’m GeoHot…
» WeboPedia.com: Virtualization – All About Hypervisors…
» PS3News: Overview on Security architecture of the PS3…
» PS2Dev Wiki: Details about hypervisor functions of the PS3 and Toshiba’s CellEB…
» PS3News: A PS3 Game’s Flow of Execution; PS3’s base AIX…
Massive Attack: Protection (1995)…
According to the german Heise.de and Golem.de Microsoft will make Windows 7 RC 1 on May 5, 2009 available for download. A beta version of the Windows 7 to Windows XP compatibility feature called XPM (we reported) will be available on April 30, 2009.
XPM is in fact a complete Virtual Machine of Windows XP using a special version of Microsoft’s Virtual PC, thus making Windows 7 about 100% compatible to Windows XP.
Pictures are courtesy of Microsoft.com…
Virtualization technologies on the Mac operating system reach a new step. Parallels Desktop’s most exciting feature that has been added is the possibility of virtualizing Mac OS Leopard Server and even Mac OS Snow Leopard.
More new features:
- iPhone support: start, stop and manage Windows virtual machines from the iPhone
- Anti Virus and Firewall: includes Kaspersky Internet Security for virtual Windows machines
- Backup solution: includes Acronis True Image Home version
People having bought Parallels 3.0 since September 1st, 2008 are eligible for free update, otherwise an update fee of 49$ will apply (or 39$ if you order before November 30st, 2008).
VMWare has released VMWare Fusion 2.0 beta for MacOS X. Fusion will integrate McAfee Antivirus solution with an upgrade and update plan for 12 months. Moreover Fusion 2.0 will be available as a free update for Fusion 1.0 customers.
- Application sharing: link filetypes from MacOS X to run a specific Windows program (on your guest) and vice versa, link filetypes within your virtual machine to run a specific MacOS program (on your host)
- McAfee VirusScan Plus Subscription for 12 months
- Language Support: Exptended Spanish and Italian Language support
- Folder Mirroring: Link your documents, pictures etc. folders from within your Windows VM to your host’s documents, pictures folder.
- Automattic Snapshots for further protection against viruses
- Keyboard and Mouse shortcut mapping: link special Windows commands like “insert” “print screen” to unused F-Keys like “F13″, F14” and so on
- Improved DirectX integration thru hardware accelerated 3D graphics: even running 720p or 1080p videos smoother
Downloading the beta version as demo requires registration on VMWare site (go here). A free beta serial key is provided aswell.
See official VMWare trailer here: