Windows can eventually be used from the iPad. Users of Parallels Desktop 6 can seamlessly logon their Windows virtual appliance from the iPad. The required iPad app “Parallels Mobile” can be downloaded for free from the iTunes App Store (get it here). In the meantime check their vid:
The virtualizing software Parallels Desktop has been updated to version 5. Besides performance optimization and 3d performance boost, the integration of a Microsoft Windows operating system into the Mac environment has been significantly improved.
Parallels Desktop 5 features:
- integration of Apple trackpad gestures (like horizontal scrolling) into the Windows guest operating system
- copy and paste of texts and layouts between the operating systems
- Mac look for Windows guest programs
Parallels Desktop 5 is available in German, English, French and Spanish. With more languages like Chinese, Japanese and Russian to come soon.
It will come bundled with
- 1-year free Parallels Internet Security 2009 by Kasperky
- Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 and
- Acronis True Image Home 11
The full version costs about €80, an update is available for €50. And customers who bought Parallels Desktop after October 1st, 2009 are entitled for a free upgrade.
Virtualization technologies on the Mac operating system reach a new step. Parallels Desktop’s most exciting feature that has been added is the possibility of virtualizing Mac OS Leopard Server and even Mac OS Snow Leopard.
More new features:
- iPhone support: start, stop and manage Windows virtual machines from the iPhone
- Anti Virus and Firewall: includes Kaspersky Internet Security for virtual Windows machines
- Backup solution: includes Acronis True Image Home version
People having bought Parallels 3.0 since September 1st, 2008 are eligible for free update, otherwise an update fee of 49$ will apply (or 39$ if you order before November 30st, 2008).
VMWare has released VMWare Fusion 2.0 beta for MacOS X. Fusion will integrate McAfee Antivirus solution with an upgrade and update plan for 12 months. Moreover Fusion 2.0 will be available as a free update for Fusion 1.0 customers.
- Application sharing: link filetypes from MacOS X to run a specific Windows program (on your guest) and vice versa, link filetypes within your virtual machine to run a specific MacOS program (on your host)
- McAfee VirusScan Plus Subscription for 12 months
- Language Support: Exptended Spanish and Italian Language support
- Folder Mirroring: Link your documents, pictures etc. folders from within your Windows VM to your host’s documents, pictures folder.
- Automattic Snapshots for further protection against viruses
- Keyboard and Mouse shortcut mapping: link special Windows commands like “insert” “print screen” to unused F-Keys like “F13″, F14” and so on
- Improved DirectX integration thru hardware accelerated 3D graphics: even running 720p or 1080p videos smoother
Downloading the beta version as demo requires registration on VMWare site (go here). A free beta serial key is provided aswell.
See official VMWare trailer here: